Sunday, February 17, 2008

A visit to The Hague


One has to credit the ingenuity of the Dutch people. For such a country where a big part is under the sea level, with the constant threat of being inundated by water, the idea of making as much canal and levees and dikes to protect the country from this threat is a marvel. I am visiting The Hague for the third time staying with a Filipino-Dutch couple who are dear friends. Agnes is my Filipina friend and Adrie is her Dutch husband. Agnes also just like me used to teach in the same public school back in Legazpi City. She moved to the Netherlands soon after their wedding to start a family. Now they have a son - Vincent Philip - who is proving to be a very active, intelligent and a bundle of joy for this family. I arrived last Friday afternoon and will be stayin till this coming Monday, 18.02.2008. Today, being a Sunday, is just like any other sunday for a family: late breakfast, and much later today they will be visiting Agnes mother-in-law in the rural part of the Netherlands. Agnes and Adrie invited me to come with them, and I am taking this chance to see the rural part of this materially rich country.

No comments: