Friday, February 22, 2008

A personal philosophy of teaching and learning

After almost teaching for 11 years now, I still consider each day different from all the previous days I spent with my students (not to mention their parents, my co-teachers and superiors). The most challenging task a teacher confronts daily is how to make each encounter as personal, truthful, rewarding, and most of all inspirational to each and every student inside the classroom. For all the years, sleepless nights agonizing on how to do a lesson the next day in mathematics, I always look back on my own experiences as a student and ask myself if I would enjoy, understand and be motivated to participate in the lesson I am preparing for tomorrow. But still when tomorrow comes, even if one has done a neatly structured lesson plan, there is always that small chance that a simple word utterred by one student would make a big difference in the way the lesson takes shape on that day. Whatever and whereever the course of the lesson leads to I am always guided these 8 personal philosophy (at least I call them as such):
  • Students are capable of learning.
  • Learners are unique; they are influenced by many factors including their culture, background and prior experiences.
  • All learners need a supportive environment in which to be challenged and encouraged to think.
  • The classroom belongs to both learners and teachers; it is a place for valuing all ideas and thoughts.
  • The classroom if made up of individuals at varying levels of growth and knowledge.
  • As s teacher, I am a facilitator of the learners in setting appropriate goals for successful learning.
  • As a teacher, I support learners' self-determination.
  • As a teacher and lifelong learner, I encourage all learners to become lifetime learners.

No comments: