Sunday, November 02, 2008

If I am an American voter I would vote for...

The Philippines, beause of her historical affinity to the United States of America follows a Presidential form of government - with the right to choose the president exercised by the citizens. In the case of a Filipino citizen, this right comes when one reaches his/her 18th birthday. Since turning 18 almost 24 years ago I hade the opportunity already of participating in 4 presidential elections. I would like to believe that I have chosen the right Filipinos - those who think of the well-being of the majority of the population than just satisfying the few interests-groups. For the first time also Filipinos who are outside the country can participate and exercise this right now with the Overseas Absentee Voting Law in effect. Two day from now, Americans would be selecting their next president. If I am an American citizen, I would vote for Senator Barack Obama for three reasons:
(1) He is ready for the job
(2) He has the requisite skills and character to do it
(3) and He more than anybody else epitomizes the ideals of America: that of a land of opportunity if one is ready to work for the attainment of that opportunity.
Over and above if he wins the presidency, then it will be a historic moment not only for America but also for the millions of migrants in so many part of the world.

No comments: